Research instruments that can assist in crop production estimates and trade
Remote sensing and mapping
- ZONESCAN - It is a unique crop performance monitoring tool (http://www.agriscan.co.za/mtool/main.html) combining near real time satellite image sets with trusted ground sourced, analysed agro-meteorological data. Zonescan enables a higher ability to monitor production and price risk. It covers the key grain areas in selected national and regional observation zones in South Africa and provides an inter-seasonal, multi sequence capability for direct comparison and analysis to give early warning of changes from previous year and long term averages. The information is updated every 16 days.
- Land Cover - It is a unique product by Geoterra Image (http://www.geoterraimage.com/about-key-projects.php) based on a mapping process which uses multi-seasonal Landsat 8 imagery to generate a new seamless National Land Cover dataset for South Africa.
- Umlindi report- It contains data that covers rainfall, standardized precipitation index, rainfall deciles, water balance, vegetation conditions, vegetation condition index, vegetation conditions & rainfall, fire watch and agroclimatology (http://www.arc.agric.za/arc-iscw/Pages/ARC-ISCW-Homepage.aspx).
- PECAD – This is the Production Estimates and Crop Assessment Division of the USDA-FAS which provides global crop condition assessments and estimates of area, yield, and production for grains, oilseeds, and cotton (http://www.pecad.fas.usda.gov/cropexplorer/).
- GEOGLAM (Global Agricultural Monitoring) which is designed to enhance world-wide agricultural production estimates and the AMIS market monitor reports that are available at www.amis-outlook.org/
- GATS is the USDA Foreign Agricultural Service's Global Agricultural Trade System. GATS includes international agricultural, fish, forest and textile products trade statistics dating from the inception of the Harmonized coding system in 1989 to present. For strategic export planning, examine trade flows (imports and exports) between countries to analyse market trends and competition (www.fas.usda.gov/gats)